BiomEdit’s Aaron Schacht Named Visionary CEO in S&P Global Animal Health Award
Award marks second year BiomEdit recognized by S&P Global since previously awarded Best Start-Up in 2022
FISHERS, IND. (January 9, 2024) – BiomEdit CEO Aaron Schacht was recently named 2023 Visionary CEO in the S&P Global Animal Health Awards for his role in leading the emerging animal health biotechnology company and influence as an industry key opinion leader. The annual awards from S&P Global celebrate innovation and leadership within the animal health sector. It is the second award in as many years for BiomEdit, which earned Best Start-Up in 2022.
The judging panel, composed of eight global experts with skillsets from various parts of the animal health sector and the team at S&P Global Animal Health, provided the following perspective on Schacht in the December 21, 2023, announcement:
He has a clear vision for BiomEdit to discover and develop animal health products that leverage microbiome science and synthetic biology. Mr. Schacht has built a diverse team, established mutually beneficial partnerships with industry leaders and peers, and committed to innovation in just the company’s second year. He previously helped BiomEdit secure $36.5 million – one of the animal health industry’s largest-ever series A rounds. Under his leadership in 2023, BiomEdit has continued its momentum with partnerships and multi-million-dollar grant awards.
In less than two years since the company was established, BiomEdit’s accomplishments have included:
- Establishing a ground-breaking, long-term strategic research and commercial partnership with Nutreco to bring livestock producers innovative feed additives using BiomEdit’s advanced microbiome science platform.
- Advanced first-of-its-kind non-antibiotic engineered bacteria targeting necrotic enteritis into pivotal stage development and established regulatory pathway with USDA with potential for conditional approval.
- Partnering with the Indiana Biosciences Research Institute to form an Integrated Drug Discovery Collaboration to enable the development of newly engineered medicines that address unmet needs in animal health with the potential to impact human health.
- Announcing a first-of-its-kind collaboration with Athian, the world’s first cloud-based carbon marketplace for the livestock industry, to develop sustainability protocols and products in parallel.
- Earning a $4.5M grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to accelerate research and development of a portfolio of novel microbiome-based solutions to reduce methane emissions that also enhance feed efficiency for beef and dairy cattle.
“I’m humbled and honored to be recognized as the 2023 Visionary CEO, as this is truly a reflection of the accomplishments of the strong and passionate team, board of directors and investors we have at BiomEdit,” said Aaron Schacht, CEO of BiomEdit. “This is such an exciting time as we witness a scientific revolution, where microbiome science, synthetic biology and animal health converge. I’m grateful for the opportunity we have at BiomEdit to innovate products that will have a positive impact on the health of animals, the people who care for them, and our shared habitat.”